Saturday, March 10, 2012

Surgery Day

Yesterday, Friday March 9th was surgery day.  We arrived at the hospital right on time (7:45 AM) and began checking in.  Upstairs in my pre-op room I started to go though more and lots of repeat questions with the nurse when she got a call that said that surgery was being moved up an hour.  Which is good, because it's usually running late.  So we began rushing through things, lots of washing, vitals, IV, antibiotics, etc.  Physical therapy came but I said I was confident in how to use the crutches and we only have 3 stairs to get into our house.  I was the easiest patient of her whole day!  The anesthesiologist came in, and a few moments later Dr. Turnipseed was in to see me too.  Sure enough they took me to surgery a few minutes later.  As we arrived in Operating Room #3 we were the first ones on the room, but it was all set up.  I slid over to the surgical bed, everyone came in, hooked me up to lets more equipment, gave me some good drugs in the IV, and I was out.  There was no counting down or anything. 
I woke up in the recovery room just after 11AM, there was a PACU nurse and a student nurse.  Taking lots of vitals, asking me if I knew where I was, how the pain was, etc.  The male nurse from the OR came in and checked on me too and explained to the student about my surgery because she was not familiar with it before this.  He explained that compartment syndrome is most common in athletes who do alot of pounding.  He said that the fascia that surrounds the muscles was too tight and doesn't slide along each other, so they go in and take a piece of fascia out from the muscle.  And the Dr. stuck his finger in the incision between the muscle and fascia and separated and tore off the fascia from the muscle because it had adhered to itself. 
They had decided to put me on blood thinners after surgery to help prevent against any more blood clots, and therefore to help prevent against and extra blood and fluid collections they decided to put a JP drain in each incision.  YUCK.  Not only are they unsightly, but the drains need to be stripped, drained and measured every 1-2 hours for the first 24 hours, and 2X per day thereafter. 
From the PACU I went down to recovery room 208 around 12PM.  The next few hours were filled with lots of vitals, toe wiggling, pain management, and napping the whole time.  I did not push through the requirements of getting released.  To be able to go home you need to drink, eat, and pee.  When I arrived in the recovery room I napped a bit, then Mom came in and I had a few more ice chips.  Then something happened which I have not yet experienced after surgery.  Puking. Between the meds and the traveling, it happened.  But as soon as it came on it was gone.  Napping, followed by more napping and some more napping, I ate some more ice chips, and finally asked for some juice and crackers.  It wasn't until almost 5PM when I finally decided it was time to use the restroom and think about heading home.  I got dressed, the nurse gave me my first injection of enoxeparion (blood thinners) in my belly, and gave us a whole lot of dressings, wraps and other miscellaneous things to take home with us.  I took a wheelchair down to the first floor and just after 6PM we were on our way home.  By this time I was beginning to feel hungry so we stopped at Culver's to take some dinner home with us. 
We ate dinner, took more meds and watched some television.  About 9PM we decided to attempt our spotted night of sleep.  Mom is on the long couch, I'm on the small cough with the recliner fully extended, and Dad (who just had a total knee replacement 18 days ago) is in the big recliner.  Mom set the alarm for 2 hours and we all fell asleep.  The alarm went off every 2 hours and Mom stripped my drains, and game me more meds.  Of course we woke up more than just every 2 hours but we won't say who was snoring.  Also, the right ankle seemed to have been wrapped up too tight because every time I woke up I was trying to adjust it.  Finally I just unwrapped the right foot from the toes to the bottom of the ankle.  Much better. 
Morning came about 9AM and we slowly began to stir.  The pain is much greater today than it was yesterday,  But we are trying to keep it under control with meds and ice.  Lots of napping again and trying to be a bit more awake today.  Mom redid my right ace bandage to ensure I am being wrapped correctly.  I want me feet as high as I can get them.  It seems that they are the most comfortable with about 4 pillows under them and the heels to be a bit higher than everything else.  I can feel the anterior (front) incisions more than the posterior (back) ones. 
Sam and Alexis cam over to Mom and Dad's house today to help take care of us and set things up for an upcoming wedding shower.  And Dad went with the neighbors to a surprise birthday party for another neighbor. 
The pain today is worse than yesterday but no where near as bad as it was in the Fall for the popliteal entrapment release.  The good news is that from here on out I should just get better and better.  I can't wait for a week from today to see how much improvement is made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment